(Mostly) Germany

Reichstag Building in Berlin. I have no idea how the flags seem to be flying in opposite directions.
For those who don't know, I've decided that travel is not something I want to do anymore. And yet, recently I went to Germany. This was due to the good reasons of 1/ agreeing to go a long time ago, 2/ wanting to see friends and 3/ needing another 90 day tourist visa for Japan. Unlike most trips I've been on in my life, I made no effort to see the must-see sights or organise much of anything (thanks to those who did organise things for me!) Therefore I don't have much to say about the trip at all, but I do have a few photos to share.

First stop Heidelberg since a friend of mine grew up there. Pretty city. Next stop was Freiburg; not pictured. Not that I have anything against it - it was a very pleasant place to play copious amounts of Tichu.
Schloss Heidelberg
Carl Theodor Old Bridge (Alte Brucke)

I was somewhat more touristy in Berlin - here are some highlights.
Ishtar Gate at the Pergamon Museum, Berlin
Communs, opposite the New Palace, Potsdam
Reichstag Building again. The sunset was beautiful and
the place is so photogenic it deserves another photo.
Inside the New Palace, Potsdam

By the time we got to Cologne I had outsourced photo taking to my friend Pat or my mobile phone.
Cologne Cathedral. Thanks for the photo Pat!
The sun shone briefly on the Hohenzollern Bridge
over the Rhine River, Cologne.
This is how Lindt Lindor Balls are made,
Imhoff-Schokoladenmuseum

Ostensibly the purpose of the trip was to go to SPIEL, the board game fair in Essen. The first day there I learnt five new well regarded games and met a couple of famous (to a limited subset of the population) people. Not long into the second day I was sick of trying to find a table to play at and my friends had bought all the games I was interested in playing anyway so went and played them elsewhere.
Opening time at SPIEL
Uwe Rosenberg teaching his new game Glass Road.
Robert Auerochs, the designer of Bremerhaven
watches us play it.

I had a 10 hour stopover in Taiwan and went on this no-money-required half day tour. It was definitely worth it - effortless and I got to see some nationalistic touristy things including Taipei 101 and the Martyrs’ Shrine where the guards not only don't move but also don't blink! during their one hour shifts.
Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, Taipei

One response to “(Mostly) Germany

  1. Leaving SPIEL after a day or so to play your games is definitely the way to go.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.